Monday, March 1, 2021

JustFab Releases Kelly Rowland’s First Designed Footwear & Apparel Collection

 By Laura Medina


This letter is my first as a fashion designer and a mother of two, and it feels so surreal that I get to do something I love as my career. I couldn’t be more grateful for another outlet of self-expression and creativity that I get to share with you all.


I grew up watching many amazing women, including my Mama T, who used her creativity to bring her dreams and ideas to life. I was always in awe of her and her creative mind, which seemed to have no bounds. As I got older, I was fortunate enough to travel the world and watch designers realize their dreams through fashion; I was mesmerized by what a magical job this is. Above all, it just looked like so much fun! I always imagined there would be a day where I got to look at a woman across the street and see her feeling beautiful and confident in my designs.



This past year was completely unprecedented, and as I reflect on all that has happened, I am once again reminded how miraculous and multifaceted women are. How many different people we can be in one day, one hour, one minute. How many different hats we wear. I watched frontline workers on the news, the multitasking mom on the Zoom call, the full-time parent-turned-teacher, those isolated from their families and friends; I watched the world unfold on a screen. I watched and listened, and wished for some levity and lightness for those who were struggling. Some simplicity and ease for those who were facing challenges. And some celebration for everyone, everywhere, for coming this far.


As I looked inward, I realized I was waking up and dressing myself on some days for comfort, some days for strength, and other days for pure joy. My fashion choices were my armor for the day. They lifted me up and were a physical manifestation of my intentions — what I needed to power through. This year has been an exercise in strength, and I wanted to be able to share that armor with women everywhere — with you. You have all been warriors, blessing the world with your creativity and showing up with such graceIt was from your stories that this collection was born. You are my muses: the warriors, the creatives, the women who lead with grace. This collection is for you.



I wanted to find a way to bring the ways you inspired me to life, so I partnered with three women to tell three different stories within the collection. Each woman represents a muse, and every shoe is named after a Greek goddess to echo power with each step. In March, the collection focuses on the warrior in each of us — brought to life by Nykhor Paul. In April, we celebrate the creative mind with Diana Veras. And in May, Pritika Swarup embodies the graceful nature innate to women. Each month we will be releasing a capsule of shoes and clothing inspired by each of these facets. Every piece has been designed to be a necessity: a timeless staple for your wardrobe that makes you feel like the goddess you are. I also wanted to use fabrics in an unexpected way, a reminder that you are so much more than you think you could ever be. Did you think Active Knit was only for sneakers? Put on the Tyche or Cleta Active Knit second-skin boots and remember you are a hero in heels. Think linen is just for casual beachwear? Lace up the Enyo or Bia linen combat boots and stand tall in your graceful glory. Always remember that your power is limitless and there are no rules; these shoes are for defying expectations.


I feel like this is OUR collection and I’m finally getting a chance to share it with you! To women everywhere: thank you. You inspire me. You are the reason the world turns. I hope this collection brings power to your step, because it was designed to celebrate you.

No comments: