Monday, May 3, 2021

Gigi Vega's “WATCHU TRYNA DO?” Produced by the "Chainsmokers" Jack London.

 By Laura Medina


Triple Threat, actress, dancer, and singer, Gigi Vega just release her latest single, "WATCHU TRYNA DO?" produced by "Chainsmokers" producer, Jack London.

BreakOut Music Recording Artist GIGI Vega teams with EMPIRE recording artist, TEC and legendary bounce music royalty, Big Freedia (Drake “In My Feelings”), in two new remixes for her Top 40 single “Watchu Tryna Do?” The Big Freedia collaboration is a catchy diddy, dance-forward alliance of pop and bounce dance, produced by New Orleans hit maker BlaqNmilD (Drake, Beyonce). It is a big day for GiGi, as she also releases her music video for the original single, with a feature performance by TEC.

“Watchu Tryna Do?” written by GiGi Vega was a song adapted for COVID, “I wrote the song”, says GiGi, “pre-COVID 19, and didn’t decide to put it out until I changed the words to be more fitting for what we all are going through. The original lyrics will be released when we’re on the other side of this pandemic.” GiGi Vega’s new single is charting at #28 on the iTunes R&B Chart, with Empire Artist, TEC, as well as on the Top 40 charts, coming in at #54, with her video set to premiere on MTVU soon.

 

“Watchu Tryna Do?” music video was shot in Los Angeles, CA. under strict COVID-19 protocols, with at least one person getting dismissed before shooting started. GiGi Vega had a strong vision for her music video, which she worked on with Producer Julio Mata Jr. and Director Carlos Dupouy. A genuine triple threat - dancer/actress/writer, she brings you on a journey through her visuals. GiGi trained professionally in dance in Boston and NYC, and tapped Roland Tabor (Omarion, Migos) to choreograph. The dance-only video will be released at the end of February.

GiGi Vega debuted her first holiday song for Christmas 2020 “MISTLETOE KISS”. It quickly went viral on TikTok, with over 15k videos and 10 million views. The song was  nominated for a 2021 Hollywood Music in Media Awards. Her co-producer, Miklos Malek, a former judge on X-Factor, Hungary, called the song “a Christmas song that makes you want to dance.” “Mistletoe Kiss” rose to #3 on the iTunes Dance Charts, reached #27 on the Billboard Charts. Mistletoe Kiss was part of the Soundtrack for the Netflix movie “The App that Stole Christmas”.

GiGi has big plans coming up, a new release with visuals in early March, as well as a role in the 2021 BreakOut Music holiday film, “The Drone that Saved Christmas”.

Music Video - “WATCHU TRYNA DO?” -


https://youtu.be/H5ydKSz9gaQ

TikTok - @gigivegaofficial

YouTube - @gigivegaofficial

FB - @gigivega

Insta - @gigivegamusic

Twitter - @gigivegamusic



In this exclusive interview, Gigi introduces her new single and herself, chatting about whom influence her, Janet Jackson, her upcoming movie, "The Drone That Saved Christmas" and how she take care of herself, as a triple threat: singer, actress, and dancer then she has a thing for fashion.

How has your family inspired you and your music?

GV: I would always do little shows and auditions. My father is a jazz musician. He would play the piano, so I was always surrounded by music, and theater as well. 

What or who inspired your song "Watchu Tryna Do?"

GV: It just happened. Actually had it for a while, but was finally able to come back to it. Originally, the lyrics were supposed to be “ in the club”, instead of “in the crib”. But I had to make adjustments due to COVID 19.

Talk about your producer on this song? 

GV: Jack London. He has worked with the Chainsmokers.

Where do you get your ideas for songwriting? 

GV: Melodies just come to me. Melodies come first for me. Lyrics come from everyday life experiences. I’ve always been into dancing and singing. It’s something that just clicked for me, but I got more into it once I started composing my own songs.

What charities are you aligned with and why? 

GV: Anti-bullying programs. 

What acting projects will you be involved with in the future?

GV: I will be in The Drone That Saved Christmas. Production begins in March. After that, I hope the COVID situation improves, so I can be touring.

Who are your biggest influences?

GV: Janet Jackson. Definitely into anyone who is super full out, and she is one of them.

What advice would you give to a singer starting out?

GV: Don’t let anyone steer you in the direction of what they want you to be – it is not worth it, ever.

Talk about your training as a triple threat, what do you do to stay on top? 

GV: Just take a look at my Music video, it is all there. Acting, dancing, singing. I have trained in all three disciplines since I was very young. My dance training was focused on modern dance, but I am schooled in all disciplines. I have always been on stage or behind the camera, so it is second nature. 

How do you take care of your voice? 

GV: Regular training, like an athlete. Lots of lemon and pineapple juice, as well.

If you could collaborate with another artist, who would it be?

GV: Chris Brown or Jason Derulo. Dancer/singer like I am. Janet – anyone who is full out, as mentioned before.

What is on your playlist right now?

GV: Omarion, Michael Jackson, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Popsmoke, Jason Derulo.

Who are you currently watching on TikTok?

GV: Everything that comes across my feed.:)

When did you know you wanted to be an entertainer? 

GV: Never thought about anything else. I was on stage from an early age. I made the move from stage to commercial work in my teens. Once I learned how to write solid music, I knew I wanted to record music. It was a process. I spent hundreds of hours in the studio as a kid. 

What artist did you admire as a child?

 GV: I loved watching Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson is my absolute favorite. 

Do you play any instruments? 

GV: I pluck out notes on the piano and guitar to help my melodies. Had many lessons and music theory, but I won’t be accompanying myself just yet.

What’s your fashion style?

GV: I like more tropical vibes, or casual, put together vibes, but I always like to switch it up. I can be glam or a Tomboy. Get a girl who can do both.

What do you do to relax?

GV: I love fashion, always putting fashion pieces together. I learned to sew as child, went to classes and camps for years. I was one of those kids who got a new shirt, and then I would go to my room and change the shape and design. I love listening to music and writing. Honestly, writing is my happy space.

What other businesses do you plan on starting to promote your brand?

GV: I am very into sneakers and shoes. I have so many different designs in my head that need to come out.

What’s the one thing you think everyone could do to make the world a more positive place?

GV: Less judgment of others, especially strangers.

 

 



No comments: