By Laura Medina
This scribe as at the inception of BeautyCon, when it first launched a couple years ago.
Beginning out, it could not help but get sponsors of questionable cosmetics, made from questionable ingredients but at very cheap price points for those just starting to experiment with makeup. Their initial fan base, were those just experimenting with makeup. Health wasn't the focus back then.
Fast-forward to this recent Oscars Weekend, the day before and the day of the Oscars, BeautyCon has grown up. They realized that beauty radiates...from the inside...and that outer beauty is the sign and level of your inner health.
This scribe was glad to participate in their "BeautyCon, Beauty + Balance" Saturday, the first of the two-days weekend for a much-needed tune-up and refresher, before the big Oscar afternoon and night.
First thing first, die-hard beauty-istas warmed up with a very gentle yoga session by a very expecting Fabletics Yoga With Ashley Corliss at 10am, before jumping into Athleta Flight Class With Sydney Benner at 11am.
Of course Westfield Topanga Mall being a very new and very spacious mall, large enough to be split into two, the traditional mall and the outdoor mall called The Village, BeautyCon's Beauty + Balance showcased what the mall has to offer in health and wellness, when it comes to external and internal beauty.
Since this was a fitness event, lasting all weekend, BeautyCon's Beauty + Balance was jam-packed with activities to get you grooving...
Session Schedule for Saturday, February 25:
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Fabletics Yoga With Ashley Corliss (RSVP below)
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Athleta Flight Class With Sydney Benner (RSVP below)
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Beautycon Session: Fitness & Wellness Tips With Cassey Ho of Blogilates (RSVP below)
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Beautycon Session: Lip Beauty Demo With Stephanie Villa of Soothing Sista (RSVP below)
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Beautycon Session: Natural Highlight & Contouring Demo With Marianna Hewitt (RSVP below)
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Learn Tips From the Pros During Make Up For Ever's Master Class (RSVP below)
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dancing Lessons With Karina Smirnoff Dance Studio (RSVP below)
Session Schedule for Sunday, February 26:
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Dance It Off With a Fun Dance Workout Provided by Rae Toledo & Fabletics (RSVP below)
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Athleta Yoga Class With Sydney (RSVP below)
- 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM: Dance It Out with Yolanda Presented by Total Woman Gym & Spa (RSVP below)
- 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM: Cardio Kick with Katrina Presented by Total Woman Gym & Spa (RSVP below)
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Yoga with Daniela Presented by Total Woman Gym & Spa (RSVP below)
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Learn How to Shape Eyebrows Like a Pro With Expert Advice From Sephora Stylists (RSVP below)
With the right amount of space and timing...and BeautyCon's majority demographics, Westfield Topanga Mall's MAC was the first place to launch...and sell MAC's Eighties retro, Work It Out" Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical" Jazzercise-sque makeup collection. Just for those twenty-something Millennials and tween/teen Gen-Zers and those Gen-Xers who came of age during the New Wave/"Let's Get Physical" Eighties...but with improved makeup formulas, http://www.maccosmetics.com/collections-work-it-out
After sweating it out to warm up, this scribe was treated to the first ever MAC "Work It Out" makeover to show how quick and easy this "fitness makeup" is for gym bunnies, of all persuasions and preferences. Isn't this the goal of Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical"? Attracting while performing at one's peak? Sweat as the new pheromones.
During the "Work It Out" makeover, this scribe picked up this new trick, you can "buff" lipgloss onto cheeks as a very moisturizing cream blush, that doesn't break-out. You need a Kabuki brush to buff the sheen out of the gloss, for a moisturizing flush. Ideal during the chapped Winter months. This, after sweating it out during morning yoga.
BeautyCon's Beauty + Balance is a sign that it's maturing and evolving. That all-night party, especially during Awards Season, can throw anyone off-balance. One lop-sided, it destroys your looks.
Plus, BeautyCon's Beauty + Balance is reflective of what's going with night clubs in general. It's rising alongside Daybreakers, an health-focused but no less fun "day disco" where DJs and live bands throw beats while kids dance it out or "work it out" first thing in the morning, after a yoga warm-up. Daybreakers Marina Del Rey's yacht work-out is not to be missed. A fun but obnoxious way to wake up the neighbors, getting funky to get healthy.
Both offer healthy but light breakfasts and hydration.
Westfield Topanga Mall is only of three malls in the Los Angeles general area to carry the chic but approachable DAVIDS Tea.
After each work-out, participants are welcomed to gulp and guzzle "The Skinny," oolong, ginger, and orange peel tea to hydrate.
The gym as the new and healthier nightclub, an healthy backlash to Seventies' toxic disco? That Eighties ethos is still continuing and evolving into yoga/mediation retreats and top-tier fitness clubs as the new nightclubs. BeautyCon celebrating fitness as the new beauty and sex appeal, is the evident of BeautyCon maturing from it's cheap makeup for tweens' roots. It's growing up alongside the new Millennial adults, who see and treat the gym as the new nightclub.
For this scribe personally, having this, the day before the Oscars, was a refreshing reset that got this scribe "jazzed up" for the glamorous Oscars. Or, BeautyCon's Beauty + Balance can be a relaxing release button for those wrung-out by the excitement...and the exhaustion of running the Awards Season thread mill.