Monday, February 6, 2023

Hi! It's Grammy Week! A Weezer's Rivers Cuomo's True Fans Intimate Concert While Stella McCartney X Adidas Launch New Collection During Grammy Week.

 By Laura Medina


Every major awards show has a dedicated week leading up to it.

The Grammys are no exception.

Every music freak's wet dream comes alive during Grammy Week, galore.

Sometimes, it roars louder when it's really small and intimate to attract the real fans, such as Weezer's Rivers Cuomo's very intimate, absolutely, last-minute concerts over two nights in a speakeasy.

Modest but no less cool, Rivers Cuomo opened his set by covering the Beach Boys' "California Girls."

Of course, he did Weezer's biggest hits.

Remember, this is the Grammys.  Scott Murphy jaunted up on stage to join him.

They ended the concert with both of them returning to "California Girls."


At the opposite end of the same spectrum, Stella McCartney x Adidas went full-throttle blast, launching their Spring Collection, based on movement, during Grammy Week.

Like any other awards week leading up to the awards show itself, as the finale, it went from styling to shopping then getting dressed for the shop, to pre-COVID 19 quarantine shopping to revamp launching with fresh, new collections.

That's what Stella McCartney x Adidas did.  It helps that your dad is Sir Paul McCartney and his daughter, is health and ecologically conscious fashion designer, aka, lifestyle designer.

They hired LA Roller Girls troupe to put the collection in action, modeling the collection while skating.


This why Stella works with Adidas in promoting and sustaining a healthy lifestyle for a healthy planet...

"They’re the leaders in sportswear on sustainability, without a doubt. It’s something they care very much about. When we started out, I learned about PVC through my collaboration with them. We have only recycled nylons, so we use no virgin plastics. I would say we are definitely the icing on the cake of sustainability within the brand. There’s such a void between what I’m doing in my ready-to-wear brand and what they’re doing in their sports brand, and so the sweet spot is really interesting of what we can do together. We work really hard to make it extremely technical. The actual performance and technology is something we’re very proud of."

"One of my big challenges, a long time ago now, was working on the 2012 Olympics. I was the first designer with a sportswear brand to ever do a female podium look. Those women got all their gold medals and they were wearing the men’s suits! It is really just keeping the focus on sustainability, which is a challenge when you get to that kind of scale. Obviously, you have to be really vigilant on where your supply chain is coming from. Also, just to keep pushing for women’s rights, almost, in the sports industry."

"Yes, we did a double mastectomy sports bra in 2015, which is something I’m super proud of. I don’t think anyone’s done that before. And then the maternity. I worked out throughout all of my pregnancies. A lot of it is being a champion of women, as a female designer. There’s not enough of us. We’ve gone a lot more into unisex just because, I mean, I’m wearing all men’s clothes today. [Points at her blazer]. We’ve been doing that forever, really. "

"We’ve done a pilot in Turkey and got the regenerative cotton on the runway this season — I think we’re the only people to have it on the runway so far. We have the AlgiKnit, yarn made from algae, which is an amazing project, so we’re trying to R&D that at Stella. A lot of people investing in sustainability don’t have a product they need to source in a better way. But I’m in a very unique place, where I’m able to really test and design using different materials, like the mycelium [fungi]. It took such a long time to get the Mylo leather into a position where it could fold and not crack. When I can incubate a material and get it to a quality where I can use it as a luxury fashion house, then I can take it to my business partner, Mr. [Bernard] Arnault, and truly put it into production to swap out an existing old-fashioned business with, hopefully, the future of fashion. It’s about creating awareness and also actually changing a supply chain."

"The reason I wanted to start the fund with my colleagues was to have a meaningful impact on the industry. The SOS fund is sustainable solutions, and I feel that’s more and more my job than actually creating a fabulous jumpsuit. I’ve been doing this my entire career, and we’ve kind of been the pilot program for the industry, and there are no real incentives, financially. In fact, we’re kind of penalized for what we do. We have a vegan leather that basically takes the waste of the wine industry and uses the skins from the grapes and we make all of these incredible faux leathers. But when we bring them into America, we get hit with a 30 percent taxation! It’s shocking. I’ve been telling people that for 20 years and it’s still the case. I said to my team the other day, “Let me know how much money we’ve lost as a business.”  Because how do you incentivize young businesses or smaller businesses to actually work in this way? You’re just completely demoralized in doing the right thing. My big hopeful impact before I leave Planet Earth is to try and bring young, exciting, new business models that use technology or a cleaner way of working into many industries."

"One hundred is not impossible. For me, it’s the only way. It’s the thing that I’m trying to get to. I don’t think any other brand in the world would even publish the numbers, because they wouldn’t even think to measure. It costs us not only money, but also time, to figure out that number. That’s not a small feat. You’ve got to go back to every single transparent supply chain and do the math. That’s not easy. And then you’ve got to look at what gets into the show, what was on the runway, and look at that number.  I’m so proud of my company. It’s not me; it’s my team’s united desire to truly make a meaningful change in the industry."

"Some fabrics just don’t exist right now. Some things you can’t source. You’re very limited creatively. Sequins, for example, are all PVC so they have petroleum in them. Every sequin that you see in the world is plastic. We have a non-PVC rule, so we cut off our nose to spite our face. And so then I’ve got ten sequins I can use in five colors. But I’m a plant-based brand. We don’t have any leather or any glue. Even my bag here has aluminum chains, so they can be recycled, because metals aren’t so friendly. This is a faux leather, so I have two colorways, because they just don’t have the scale, the methods. If you want to do natural dyes and use vegetable oil coating, it is super complex. At the end of the day, at Stella McCartney, we are like the first people going to the moon in fashion."

"We had lead-free crystals on that and the viscose is forest-friendly. Two hundred million trees are cut down in a year just for rayon. And they’re not replanted, which is crazy. When I ask people in my industry, “Do you know what rayon is made of?” They’re like, “Plastic?” Nobody knows, which is nobody’s fault. At Stella we ask the questions and we find the solutions. We took three years of our time, and didn’t get any funding, to go and find a sustainable forest in Sweden, which cut down but replanted the trees, to create the viscose used on Adele’s dress."


No comments: